Opening Weekend Recap
The high school hockey regular season kicked off this weekend with 6 Northwest Hockey Conference league games and several non-conference tilts.
There were a few significant firsts:
- Perrysburg played in its first Red Division game and the Perrysburg JV team played its first game ever.
- Springfield won its first league game since returning as a club team. They went 0-15 in their first year as a USA Hockey team after not having a team in the 2017-18 season. Springfield high school’s team won the White Division regular season and playoffs in 2015-16.
- Bowling Green won its first game since February 2018, after not fielding a team last season.
Other interesting tidbits from the opening weekend:
- NHC teams went 3-4 against squads from Michigan. Bedford split its two games in Toledo, Lenawee United won twice in Adrian, and Saline was swept by St. Francis varsity/JV.
- The Northern Kentucky Norse, a USA Hockey team and the defending champion of the 7-team Kentucky High School Hockey League, went 2-1 in their 3-game tour of the NHC.
- Findlay 3, Perrysburg 2 (OT). Ethan Franks wins the game in OT after Perrysburg battled back from a 2-goal deficit to tie it.
- Northview 3, St Francis 2. The Knights pull within 1 twice in the last 2 minutes but cannot tie it up.
- Springfield 7, Clay 4. Six goals and an assist for Mason Koppelberger.
- Lake 15, Maumee 0. Nine different scorers for Lake.
Crossover (do not count in the standings)
- Bowling Green 9, Southview 4. Shane Cassin has 2 goals and 4 assists.
- Anthony Wayne 7, Lake 0. Three different Generals tallied twice.
Selected Non-conference Results
- Northview 5, Bedford 3
- Bedford 2, St John’s 1
- Anthony Wayne 3, Northern Kentucky 1
- Northern Kentucky 8, Perrysburg 3
Scoresheets from league games and selected non-conference games are available for media needing additional details from games.
Most team are playing in tournaments over the Thanksgiving weekend.
The Cold Turkey Tournament, hosted by Northview at Tam-O-Shanter, features 5 Red Division teams, 1 White, and 3 local JV teams.
Northview, St. Francis, St. John’s, Bowling Green, and Findlay make up the Varsity West division and will play teams from Cleveland, Columbus, and Canada. The other high school teams from Ohio in the tournament (Gilmour, Liberty, St. Ed) all advanced to the District semifinals in their region last season.
Maumee plays in the Varsity B/JV division with JV teams from St. John’s, St. Francis, and Northview.
Anthony Wayne (varsity & JV) travels to the Columbus area for the Chiller Thanksgiving Classic. AW varsity plays in the top division and will face teams that won twice in the Columbus Districts last year (Dublin Coffman and Upper Arlington).
Perrysburg travels south to Oxford for the George DiPaolo Tournament. The Yellow Jackets play in the Blue division against teams from the SWOHSHL.
Clay and Whitmer head east to the Cleveland area for the Bruce Anderson Tournament, facing teams from the GCHSHL White and Blue divisions.
After Thanksgiving weekend, we return to a partial league schedule, with 3 games in each of the Red, White, and JV divisions. Several teams continue their non-conference schedule on December 6th-8th.